Business name : International Yacht Club of BC

History of the International Yacht Club

The Yacht Club was launched in January of 1958. A group of interested boaters from Washington State and the Province of British Columbia met in the City Hall at Blaine, WA The common interest then, as now, was to provide more moorage in the port for pleasure boats.

The club’s first Commodore was Earl McKinney, of Blaine. Earl was succeeded by Eric Griffiths in September of 1958. Under the guidance of McKinney and Griffiths in September of 1958, the club brought pressure to bear upon the Port Commission. These foresighted charter members were instrumental in getting improvements in the harbor facilities for the boating community.

The club has maintained this initial objective over the eighteen years since its inauguration. As a result the Island of Sucia, WA was purchased by a large group of boating clubs, including the International Yacht Club, and preserved for posterity as a State Park. Somewhat closer to home, but equally, thoughtful projects that the International Yacht Club has seen through to completion are:

 Fresh water piped to all docks – 1971.

  Overhead light installed on the public launching warf – 1973.

 Public barbecue pit – 1976.

 Apron around barbecue – 1977.

 Flag pole – 1977.

 Expansion of the Blaine marina and new shore facilities, including a Boating Center and meeting room – 2000

The island of Sucia, Wa was purchased by a large group of boating clubs (the Interclub) that included the International Yacht Club, and preserved for posterity as a State Park. This is the closeest Marine State Park (excluding Patos Island, that has limited mooring facilities) to Blaine Harbor, where the majority of members keep their boats.

Although the club was inactive from 1959 to 1970 it had one member, Myron Terry, who kept up the dues to Interclub, thereby maintaining the club’s Charter. Such foresight comes to a few people in their lifetime. Myron’s faith in the future of the club never faultered. It is no wonder that the members voted Myron and Mary Terry the first Lifetime Members in 1973 at the Commodore’s Dance at Forest Grove.

In 1970 a renewed interest in forming a club arose spontaneously. The time was ripe and the twenty who filled the International Cafe accepted Myron Terry as Chairman and Secretary. It is interesting to note that seven of the charter members were paid-up members in 1970-71. Myron kept the club active and growing through the summer and until the October election of officers.