Business name : Coronado Yacht Club

Coronado Yacht Club was founded initially in 1913, but was short lived due to World War I. The second beginning took place April 23, 1932, when six Coronado yachtsmen leased a wing of the Hotel del Coronado Boat House and invited new members to join (dues for $10.00 a year). Material for building slips was obtained on credit, and soon many of the 200 new members were working side by side on docks and slips for the Club.

The first few years were under the able direction of Commodore Major Ivan B. Snell. He directed the slip construction and then concentrated his efforts on the dredging of Glorietta Bay. Completion of the dredging allowed much wider use of the bay and permitted invitational events and predicted log races.

The Club secured a lease on its present property in 1946, and started to develop the area. The location is both an asset and a liability. Situated in the southwest arm of San Diego Harbor, it is an eight-mile cruise to the open sea despite the fact that ocean breakers pound on the beach a few hundred yards to the southwest. In 1947, a government surplus building was moved onto the lease property at the head of Glorietta Bay to provide larger quarters for the expanding membership.
Berthing facilities have been expanded over the years. Presently there are slips for more than 270 yachts and accommodations for 81 in dry storage. Two small boat hoists are available to serve dry storage boats. In addition, there are floating dry storage docks for the active Sabot and Laser fleets.

Coronado Yacht Club has approximately 929 members including the Junior Division. The Juniors acquired an annex of the main clubhouse building for their own clubhouse in 1969. The Junior Division has its own officers, sailing calendar, and social program.

Believing that the sports of yachting and fishing are very closely allied, the Coronado Rod and Reel Club, a subsidiary to the yacht club, was organized in 1935. The aims of the club are to encourage, develop, and protect sport fishing, and to furnish facilities where members can weigh and record their catches.